Conservatory of Flowers
San Francisco's Golden Gate Park
The Conservatory of Flowers was the first North American location to display the exotic Victoria Amazonica water lily in flower at night!
The Conservatory of Flowers at San Francisco's Golden Gate Park is a beautiful way to see unique flowers in a tranquil setting. Over 1,500
species of plants native to dozens of countries are displayed. It is the oldest wood and glass - Victorian-style conservatory in the United States.
Don't miss the San Francisco Flower and Garden Show. This world class show will feature
rare orchids, gardening concepts, and gardeners from around the globe.
Map of Golden Gate Park (click to view):
Highlights of the Greenhouse:
- Lowland Tropics
- Largest imperial philodendron specimen - over 100 years old!
- Primitive Cycads that were first found over 170 million years ago.
- Economic plants that produce the things we use such as cacao, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Highland Tropics
- One of four U.S. institutions with a highlands tropics gallery.
- Plants here are found between 3,000 and 7,000 feet in elevation.
- Dracula orchids with hinged lips and eye-like petals.
- Many bromeliads that grow attached to trees or rocks.
- Aquatic Plants
- Giant water lilies.
- Asian carnivorous pitcher plants.
- Strangler figs that can suffocate a host tree with its roots.
- Potted Plants
- Color themed, seasonal displays and relics from the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
Greenhouse - Conservatory of Flowers
The Conservatory is painted white "whitewashed" to reduce light, heat, and keep its historical appearance. About 70% of the redwood
used to construct the Conservatory of Flowers were recycled. Any non-recycled redwood were from fallen buckskin logs. There are over 16,000 window panes set
within a grid of 100 arches made from redwood and fir. The dome you see above (the upper dome) weighs over 14 tons.
Protected Orchid in the Greenhouse
Geckos are used to control pests in the greenhouse naturally.
Conservatory of Flowers Hours and Admission Prices:
Entrance available Tuesday - Sunday 9am - 4:30pm - Closed Non-Holiday Mondays
Admission: $5 for adults; $3 youths 12-17, Seniors 65+; and college students with valid ID. $1.50 for children 5-11. Free for children 4 and
The Conservatory of Flowers is free for all visitors on the first Tuesday of every month.
Official Conservatory of Flowers Site
Top Ten San Francisco Flower Shops
Golden Gate Park - San Francisco: Main Page